Thursday, February 7, 2013

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George




Title: My Side of the Mountain
Author: Jean Craighead George
Pages: 177
Publisher: Puffin Modern Classics
Rating: Worthy!
Perspective: first person past

Review of My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
by Mac Wood

This is a unique book. It shows in a fictional way what a teenage kid can do in the wild. Bringing only a few items, Sam Gribley lives off the land in the Catskill Mountains. Sam decides to leave his boring life in New York City and experience the mountains first-hand. He soon finds a nice tree to live in, and a peregrine falcon as his BFF. He learns how to fish, to make a door for his tree house from an animal skin, to use a fireplace, and much more.

I got interested in this book because my art teacher read it to my class once. I found it on a bookshelf and decided to read it. I think I learned a lot about survival from this book, too. Even though it's only fiction, it still has some truth in it. My favorite part was when Sam caught his falcon, named Frightful. I recommend this book to young adults who plan on camping out for a week or two. Adventure lovers should read this novel, too!